Wednesday, October 3, 2007

And two weeks later...

We are much more organized, have taken advantage of the great nook storage, and can (almost) see the light at the end of the tunnel. Our kitchen is totally unpacked, our shelving unit has been constructed, and Maggie is still mad.

Brian's classes are going really well- he loves the material and is really engaged with his classmates and professors. I'm really proud of him! He works very hard to keep up with his reading, and I am actually also reading some of his books. :) Once a
student, always a student!

Our big news lately besides getting settled and into more of a routine is that I went to the doctor and the baby is doing well!! We had an ultrasound Sept. 26th (my Mom's birthday!) and the spotting that is continuing has not affected the health of the baby. He/She is comfy as ever and lookin' good. The dr. we're seeing here was recommended by another Fuller wife originally from PA who is due with her 3rd child any moment. Thanks, Heidi!!

Dr. Morrison is very efficient, but warm, and is concerned about the dark spotting that continues. They put me on the fetal monitor to determine if I was having any contractions that I couldn't feel, but I am not! The ultrasound showed my placenta may be a bit close to the opening of the cervix (low-lying placenta previa). So, at this point I am on light duty, not allowed to pursue looking for a job or seven sets of tennis, but not on bed rest. Yea!!! Additionally, when we were still in Morgantown any additional walking or movement/activity seemed to increase the bleeding and was incredibly frustrating. You should've seen me riding the motorized cart in Target shopping for Taryn and Todd's wedding gift the week before we moved. ;) Yet, at this point, I have been doing a bit more- walking to campus, going to the store, etc. and the bleeding has not increased. This is so helpful for my state of mind- it is really good to get outside and have a bit more freedom and control over my body.

Dr. Morrison also put me on progesterone to see if that would stop the bleeding and we will determine the next course of action at our next appt. on Oct. 16th, when I will (hopefully) be cleared for pursuing work and Brian and I will have another ultrasound pic to place on the frig.

The belly at this point is getting bigger!! Here are the much anticipated shots...








Compare these to the 8 wk. shot - whoa! Seventeen weeks is quite a change!

Eight weeks and the non-maternity capris...



Seventeen weeks and the maternity skirt...



The baby can now hear us and we are reading and playing music. Favorites are Dr. Seuss (with Daddy's voices) and Jack Johnson CDs. We also read recently in the pregnancy book that the baby can also hear Maggie barking at this point and this will help he/she sleep through such disturbances upon arrival. Wow- it's pretty crazy all that's going on!

We are both learning a lot and are more and more excited the further we get- the 1st trimester was pretty stressful with all of the bleeding and scares, but now we are relaxing a bit and falling in love with our child.

I have ups and downs each day- I expected to be working and it is difficult to not know if I will be able to do that at all until the baby comes. I had actually already applied for several jobs before we went to the dr. and am now getting calls about interviews and openings. It makes it hard to be here all day in the studio, so I am planning outings and trying to get things organized. It's funny, I thought I had already dealt with these issues of identity and value, patience, etc. while in Philly- I supposed I have much more to learn!! Some days I am fed up with things not going according to my plan and weep and yell, "enough already, Lord!!"

I am slowly meeting people- Brian is really good about introducing me to his classmates on campus and at functions. I am also going to the weekly wives club meeting. I jokingly call it that, but it's actually a really great support network of spouses who have already been down this road and those of us who are currently navigating this process of settling in and making friends. I am thankful for their support and encouragement!

Brian also just accepted a job as a personal trainer at 24 hr. fitness- a gym very close to our apt.! He went for the interview yesterday and they offered him the position on the spot (I was not at all surprised)! He accepted it this morning and is really working so very hard to provide for our family in the midst of some of these unexpected adjustments (me not working) as well as his first few weeks of seminary. I am so thankful for him and can't tell him enough how much I appreciate him!

Well that's probably more than enough ramblings for now...I think we are finally caught up with the pics- more will be on the way as we finish organizing the apt.
Peace and much love...
the shope clan

1 comment:

Rachel Elek said...

Brian and Megan! Thank you for sending us a link to your blog! Holy Cow you are pregnant!!! Katie had actually told me a few days ago and we are so excited for you both! i did not realize you had such a tough 1st trimester and I'm so thankful things are slowing down a bit for you. That would be so scary.

Let me say that our apartment is small too and ours looked like yours for sometime too and it was even more frustrating because I was not aloud to lift boxes or move things and unpacking and organizing is one of my favorite things. I laughed out loud when Brian knew you were in the bathroom crying!!

Congrats on the job Brian! I know your frustrations with not being able to work Megan, for different reasons though. I was unable to get hired after I received my masters and I'm just going to say i think it was because I was visably pregnant. I really do hope that CA is a different experience than Wheeling, WV. I'm sure it will and I look forward to hearing what comes up for you.

We really wished we could have seen you before you left. You can see our updates on our blogs as well too if you would like.

Glad to hear things are getting settled.

Oh, are you going to find out if it's a boy or a girl? Only a few more weeks if you are!

Love, Rachel