Thursday, July 16, 2009

Baby Shope is born!





My first day of maternity, Tuesday May 26th, I woke up feeling a bit crampy, but nothing major. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I woke up Brian and told him I was having some contractions, but nothing major and I was going to take a bath and see if they subsided (this was at 6:45am). I couldn't get comfortable in the bath and got out and Brian and I talked about how we would spend what we thought was pre-labor, which can last for hours/days. At about that point Owen was up and Brian started to get him breakfast and make me some toast w/peanut butter. He really wanted to be sure I ate enough- with Owen I didn't eat very much and was so very tired by the end. So Brian, the dutiful husband, was feeding Owen breakfast, getting him dressed, and insisting that I eat. I was really trying, but feeling a bit nauseous at that point and the contractions were really intense. I could really feel the baby moving down and I was nervous that if it was this painful at what I thought was 3/4 cm, what would it be like at 10???!!

Owen was so early and this baby much bigger, so I was a bit nervous. Brian called our doula, Amanda, and Audrey and Nick to come and get Owen. It was about 9am at this point. Nick came to get Owen, who I was actually trying to avoid b/c I was sounding out the contractions (think whale-like sounds as you breathe out! :) and didn't want to scare him. I was telling him, "it's ok, O, Mommy's just being silly!" but he wasn't so sure. He kept coming into the bathroom where I was rocking over the vanity to see what I was doing in there. :) Nick came to pick him up and I was so relieved that he would be taken care of and not upset by seeing me in pain. I had worked so hard to make sure everyone who took care of him would know the drill and his likes/dislikes so there were instructions, but his bag wasn't packed. Brian was quickly getting the diaper bag together and I am yelling out from the bathroom, "don't forget the sheet for the pack n' play" between contractions. :)

In the meantime I had called my parents and Janine to tell them I was in labor and to pray, pray, pray! I think I scared my poor Dad; I had to put the phone down during a contraction and after I got back on he said you guys better get to the hospital quick! :)

Once Owen left Brian was gathering up my stuff and helping me breathe and move. I was actually a bit frustrated with myself because I wasn't moving as much as I did with Owen and I thought that would help, but I just couldn't move out of the position that I was in (which was leaning over the ottoman with my head down and my belly in the air or on all fours rocking back and forth). Our doula Amanda came in and I couldn't even look up. I moaned a greeting and she immediately started timing my contractions (did I mention Brian had also called our dr. at this point). Only a few minutes after she arrived she was telling Brian, "we need to go NOW! they're 2 min apart!" I was not wanting to move, let alone get in the car, and I was pleading with her, "I have to be at at least 5-6 cm, right? since they're this intense? right Amanda???!!!" They finally got me in the car and Brian drove like a maniac to the hospital, which is about 10 min. away. I was aware of what was going on, but very much turned into myself, concentrating, and pulling in. It was different that I was with Owen, and I don't really know how to explain it. I was hearing them talking, but kind of far away at the same time.

At this point my water still hadn't broken, and we arrived at the hospital and were met by a Fuller student who's a chaplain there. She wheeled us to labor & delivery and Brian and Amanda began answering questions of the staff. When they brought me into the delivery room the nurse who helped us with Owen, Nicole, was there. I said, "I can't believe you're here!!! I told our friends I wanted you to be here for this brth!" and she laughed and actually switched patients so she could be with us. She said, "weren't you guys just here! wow!" yeah, pretty much! :)She remembered Owen and asked how he was doing with his lip- it was so cool, so much a God-thing and I had an overwhelming sense at that point that I was ok, things were being taken care of, and although I was overwhelmed with the speed at which this was happening to my body (it seemed to just take over and have a mind of its own) I was going to be able to do this. It was 10:30am at this point.

There wasn't time for any monitoring or anything (my water still hadn't broken). We had everything prepared and packed this time- cold soda cans to roll on my back, a playlist on itunes, the birth ball, lights for ambience, my lavender lotion, and there wasn't time for any of it!! I didn't even get to wear the long tank I wore for Owen's birth- I didn't have time to change out of my pajama pants and t-shirt (that morning I had originally planned to paint my toenails and put in my contacts, but as the contractions mounted with every passing second those plans flew out the window!!!). Ha!

Nicole checked me, said I was probably at 8cm, but she felt a bulge (which she originally thought was the umbilical cord) which scared us a bit, but then another nurse, Susan, checked me and found it was the water bag and I was at 10 cm. Hallelujah!! They moved very, very quickly at that point getting the mirror in position, the baby warmer, and all the other gear. Our dr. still wasn't here at this point, but I didn't care! I was fine with the nurses catching the baby. :) He arrived a few moments later and broke my water, Brian got behind me to help support me while pushing and after 3-4 pushes, at 10:58am, we had our little boy! I think we were both in shock, it happened so fast. I saw that he was a boy before the doctor, as he was holding him up, and laughed that everyone that he was a girl.

We admired our new addition and explained that he didn't yet have a name ( we only had definite girl names chosen, but the list hadn't been narrowed for the boy names). Then we began the calls to our families to share our new little miracle and sat back and marveled in all that you can accomplish in 4 and 1/2 hours!! (no that's not a typo!) :)

Look at our beautiful boy...all 7lbs. 14.6 oz. and 19 in. of him...











God is so good! We are thrilled with our new little bug and excited to continue our adventure in parenthood with 2 boys...speaking of 2 boys...

Owen met his new little brother that very night and was quite excited, and then he saw the straw in my water pitcher and started walking around our hospital room pushing the tray table. Fun stuff! If only he knew how much his life had just changed!! :)





Much more to say, but I didn't get a nap today and the 3.5 hr. stretches of sleep (if we're lucky) don't leave much brain function to be had at 11pm! :) Stay tuned for more on how we named our new baby boy and the 1st 7 weeks with two littles.

1 comment:

Janine said...

I love it Meg!!!! Oh the chaos of life!